Our Joyous, Generous, Giving God
God is a joyous, generous giver. You are never more like God than when you give.
For many years as a pastor, I have employed the use of a powerful Bible study program called Logos. Over the years, I have accumulated an extensive library of digital books and resources. At last check, I was in the 2,600 range.
In preparing for a recent message, I became curious. What does the Bible say about God as a giver?
I entered the search parameters and hit enter. The results were staggering. The search returned references to hundreds of verses. God is quite a giver. Due to the constraints of this devotion, I can only share a very small sample of the results. But it is enough to see how much our God gives.
- God gives good things - James 1:7.
- God gives us everything we have to enjoy - 1 Timothy 6:17.
- God gives us wisdom - James 1:5.
- God gives us what we need so we can get what we have - Deuteronomy 8:18.
- God gives us help and strength - Isaiah 41:10.
- God gives us peace - John 14:27.
- God supplies our needs - Philippians 4:19.
- God gives us each breath we breathe - Isaiah 42:5.
- God has given us His Son - Romans 8:32.
- God has given us eternal life through His Son - Romans 6:23.
- God gives grace to the humble - 1 Peter 5:5.
- God withholds no good thing from those who walk uprightly - Psalm 84:11.
On and on and on, the Bible goes about what God gives! God is an extravagant giver!
God Created You to Give
The Bible says that God not only enjoys giving but that He enjoys givers.
Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.2 Cor. 9:7
If our creator is a joyous and generous giver, don't you think that he created us to enjoy giving as well? Are we not created in His image?
Even the creation reflects that it was designed by an extravagant giver. The Bible teaches that God has sewn into the fabric of the world the law of sowing and reaping. There is both joy and a return on generosity in giving.
In Acts 20:35 Paul quoted Jesus as saying, "It is more blessed to give than to receive."
Proverbs 11:24-25 teaches us that the world works better for the giver.
One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want. Whoever brings blessing will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered.Proverbs 11:24-25
Our God is a joyous, generous giver. He desires that you share in the experience with Him of the blessing of giving and receiving. Be generous. You are never more like God than when you give.
Read 2 Corinthians 9:6-15.
- List the commands to be obeyed.
- Write out the promises to be believed.
- Make a list of principles to be applied.
Create a giving plan. Rework your budget to make room for generosity. Take note of how intentionality in giving begins to bless your finances, change your spending habits, and create a sense of contentment.
Watch this message on my YouTube Channel.
The blessing we are missing in the way we are giving.